Cutlass Trilogy

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Schedule/Announcement/Editing :)


Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been around as often as I would like. I have a lot of news so bear with me. :D

1. I began graduate school this week. I am taking 3 online classes because I work 40 hours during the week. My masters will be in Library Science and Information Technology, and my focus is Young Adult and Middle Grade studies.

2. Because of this, I have myself on a strict schedule:



Basically, I will begin waking up at 5:00am to work out, working from 8-5, and from 5-9 I can work on homework, or what have you. From 9-10, I will ONLY work on my book.This way, I shove everything I need to do in each day.

3. I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF MY BOOK!


And I am almost finished with the first set of edits. I plan on finishing the remaning 76 pages today. I wanted to take you through my editing process this time because I am notoriously...bad at editing. I don't like it, I can't tell you how many times I turned in papers that weren't edited because I just didn't like it....(probably won't be doing that in Graduate School, especially since I came up with a way that I like to do editing).

First, I made a color coded charge of what my highlights meant:



Then, I searched "Things to look out for while editing" and chose what I felt were my top problems.

A. Passive versus active voice
B. Repetition of word use (this is something unexpected. As I was editing, I noticed that I really liked reusing words.
C. Cut the use of too many adverbs.

With these in mind, I began to edit. The first five chapters of my book are not as colorful (meaning highlighted), but the rest have been vibrant. Which isn't a bad thing, because I knew what I had edited most as I went along. Also, I am sticking to paper edits until I am finished with the entire book, then I am going to focus on my word processor edits.

This process has been really helpful for me, and I also made a page of changes (using colorful sticky notes) and today I transferred that to a new outline of the end of the book.

I have come to realize that PROCESSES are the best way to get things finished, and mine have worked for me. Another realization? You NEED to find things that made what you're doing more enjoyable. I'm not sure why highlighters and sticky notes make editing more fun for me, but I definitely like it more because of that.

Okay, so I am off to stick to my schedule. :) I hope everyone has a wonderful day! I will be blogging on Sundays from now on (PROMISE), and checking out blogs. I decided I would being using the RSS feed to make it easier to follow everyone and comment and read. (I have to use it for class as well).

34 comments:

  1. congrats on finishing the first draft, and you're doing so well on your edits to! Especially considering your manic schedule! Well done :)
    I like to use highlighters and sticky notes in edits to, I think its because bright colours cheer me up, so when I look at a page of highlights it seems less intimidating than a page of red scribbles lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Laura! So nice to see you! Thank you! I agree--I think it is the bright colors that make it better! Red pen is so ominous, and a little frightening to be honest. It just screams that you did something wrong rather than you can improve!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your first draft and starting revisions! That is one tight schedule you have, holy cow! I'm impressed with your work ethic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! I hope your edits are going well!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the schedule, and congrats on finishing that important first edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! So great to see you dropping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Go you! Congrats on finishing that first draft and for being so organized to tackle the edits. Good luck with grad school. I'm almost through, and it's definitely tricky to squeeze in writing time, but you can do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Nicole! It is completely tricky! But we must manage as writers! I don't want to lose track of what I love like I did with my undergrad. :/ Uncool. lol.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on everything, Ashley. I know you'll keep it all straight and stay focused. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! It is wonderful to see you! :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on finishing your draft! That is a mighty manuscript. I don't know why highlighters and stickers and sticky notes and colour coding work, but they work for me too. It's just more fun that way. Good luck with your whirlwind schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I sure hope I can manage it! I am starting bright an early at 5 tomorrow! :)

      Delete
  7. Oh to be young and single again. I love your schedule and color-coded edits!

    Warning: If/when you have kids, the second you make a detailed schedule will be the moment your child pukes or someone breaks an arm or gets night terrors. And no highlighters or colorful markers will ever stay on your desk. All I have is black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, I am not single, but my boyfriend is still in college, too. I hope kids are in the far, far future...like ten years from now, so I hope for at least that long, I can have my colorful highlighters! lol.

      Maybe when yours are older, you can have them, too! However, black is a good option! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Yay for you! So much exciting stuff going on! Congrats on first draft done, first edits almost done and starting grad school. I'm so jealous you're studying library science. Oh to be able to go back and change my major... :) Good luck with you schedule - it sounds like a killer! I'll join you at 5:30 to exercise and write for 15 min. before work, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME! When I wake up, I'll know you're out there, too! haha. Good luck writing!

      I am REALLY enjoying library science (and it's only been a week!) But I've read so many great and interesting articles!

      Delete
  9. so organized! thats my type of girl! sounds like so much! just remember, if you stray a little, thats okay. but if you fall off the wagon, its tougher to get back on. and sometimes life throws things at you that have to be fit in. congrats on finishing the first draft & best wishes with editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! Sometimes you need to be reminded that it's okay to waver from your path a little. lol.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I can't! haha. So this is my attempt at trying. hehe.

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad that you've finished your first draft!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So close to being done with the first round of editing! Good for you!

    That schedule is awesome. I will be that the 'work on my writing time' from 9 to 10 will creep a little later than that ;) I know it does for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! And I have found that if I don't go to bed between 10-10:30, waking up at 5am is awful! So...maybe I'll stop reading for school around 8-8:30, lol.

      Delete
  13. I'm impressed with that schedule! Congratulations on finishing your first draft and good luck with your edits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy organized! You're like Martha Stewart. I'm in the middle of revisions right now and the repetive phrases are killing me. My character's pulse races waaaay too much and his eyebrows need Botox speedy quick.

    Great post. Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's so hilarious!
      Aren't they a little soul crushing? I'm like, "Why did I not realize I was doing this?!"

      Thank you so much for stopping by, Bethany!

      Delete
  15. Way to go! And I LOVE your color chart. Way to be organized. No way can you be anything but successful with such a well organized calendar.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow graduate school, I'm tired just thinking about it. Congrats on finishing your first draft. I'm from the chocolate blogfest today. I'll check back in later. :)
    Ciara

    ReplyDelete